#VIXIndicator — The VIX is reacting strongly to the upside at any sign of volatility. Although we spent the morning in cancelation territory, the Mueller spike sent up back above 19.00. So although we’ve been steadily rising, volatility is still hanging around.
#VXXGame I forgot I had even sold a $VXX Feb 23rd 27 call for 6.00 on Feb 2nd. But I did and I was early assigned on Monday night, so I’m short 100 shares. I will hold that.
As for $SVXY, the only short put they’ve left me with was the Feb 16th 90 put. I guess waiting for assignment on schedule rather than early. I also have a Jan 2019 25 put which I don’t expect assignment on anytime soon.
#VXXGame Added to existing long put positions:
Bought $VXX June 25 puts for .70
Bought $VXX Jan 2019 20 puts for 1.70
Bought $VXX June 30 put for 1.95
Also, sold $UVXY Jan long 75 put for 3.40. Purchased for 1.59 in January as a pre-hedge against short calls sold in February.
Rolled GM 42.5 put that expires this week out 2 weeks for 0.43 credit. CB now under 40.
XBI STO 10 DTE 85 put for 0.77. Went through fast at mid point, may be able to get more if you work the order.
SVXY decision. With the futures expiring today, my hope is that as they expire we may see a pop. However I do not expect steady gains until we are no longer backwards which may take a few weeks and probably not until the VIX is under 18. Anyway, I am holding the stock until then. Once we have some gains I will make sure it is hedged in the future, probably by setting up a #fuzzy ratio but do not want to spend extra money on this trade until it recovers even a little.
The VXX trades below look smart. I would do it if had capital left. The hedge fund book I am reading, Mark Sebastain does that every 2 weeks. Buys puts on VXX or a debit spread and rolls it to the next 2 weeks when there is a 50% profit. May be a smarter way to play #vxxgame in the future. Losses are capped but probably steady gains. The flip slide would be selling ATM call credit spreads.
I will NEVER be short VIX, SVXY unhedged in the future, lesson learned the hard way again. I think a hammer the head would have been easier.
Thanks everyone for the help/thoughts on VXX/SVXY over the last few weeks. I think going forward we are all much smarter about how to use these instruments and more importantly how not to use them. But collectively I think we will all make back most of the losses within 1-5 years (that seems like a long time at the moment) but will go by faster than any of us can imagine!
#VXXGame Bought $VXX Jan 2019 20 puts for 1.75. Added to my position started in September at the average price of the position. I put in this order last week when things were crazy and it just filled now.
How Winning Traders Rebound, make a Come Back, and Never Quit
1. They accept losing trades quickly but it does not define them, they learn and try again. The next trade will be more wise than the last one.
2. They compartmentalize emotions by not blaming themselves but understanding the historical expectancy of their systems returns.
3. They have a bias toward action by constantly doing things that move them closer to their goal of being a rich trader. (Homework, chart study, reading, being mentored, back testing, etc. )
4. They change their minds sometimes, they know when to stop doing something that does not work and move in the direction of trading success through new lessons. They learn what type of trading is right for them.
5. They prepare for things to go wrong through risk management and position sizing instead of just going naively toward their goals they are ready to make adjustments as needed.
6. They’re comfortable with discomfort, they will accept losses and draw downs in their method, they are willing to pay tuition to the markets to get to where they want to be.
7. They’re willing to wait, they patiently improve each day setting themselves up for those winning trades that will be very profitable in the future.
8. They have trading heroes that inspire them to be better than they are now and give them the hope of achieving their dreams.
9. They have more than passion they are on a mission, their desire for success gives them the drive to not quit until they win.
10. They know only time separates them from their goals of success in the markets.
#VXXGame Added to a position I started in September:
Bought $VXX June 25 puts for 1.25.